Hell has not frozen over, and nothing has changed in the world of CrossFit. Defending champions Mat Fraser and Tia-Clair Toomey continue their campaigns of domination. Both won the first event of the 2019 CrossFit Games today.
Event 1 Men:
Fraser led through the entire workout, followed by Chandler Smith and Patrick Vellner in a struggle for a distant second. Vellner failed reps of the final squat snatches and fell to ninth, as Scott Panchik took third.
- Mat Fraser
- Chandler Smith
- Scott Panchik
- Hunter McIntyre survives the first cut, despite not finishing event one.
- Frederik Aegidius withdraws. We’re awaiting details as to why.
- Notable athletes cut after the first event are Zachery Buntin, Streat Hoerner, Jean-Simon Roy-Lemaire, Tim Paulson, and Josh Miller.
- Ben Smith is back. The athlete, qualifying via late wildcard invite, won the first heat and took eighth overall.
CrossFit Games Men Top-10
Event 1 Women:
Much like the Fraser in the men’s heat, Tia-Clair Toomey led the entire way. Kari Pearce worked to stay in second, passed temporarily by Bethany Shadburne. The final result was Pearce in second and Jamie Greene, as Shadburne fell to twelve.
- Tia-Clair Toomey
- Kari Pearce
- Jamie Greene
- One athlete surprise was Shahad Budebs from the United Arab Emirates. She was the first woman of her heat back from the run and to complete her first legless rope climb. She wasn’t able to maintain the lead, though.
- Brenda Castro, the national champion of Mexico, barely made the cut. She sits at 75th-overall, receiving zero points for the event. Castro took 34th in the 2018 CrossFit Games.
CrossFit Games Women Top-10
Event 1 Teams:
In a tough event involving air bikes, toes-to-bars, and the Rogue Big Bob, the defending champions came out on top. CrossFit Mayhem Freedom, with Chyna Cho, Rich Froning, Tasia Percevecz, and Dre Strohm remain dominant.
- CrossFit Mayhem Freedom – Chyna Cho, Rich Froning, Tasia Percevecz, and Dre Strohm
- X-Terminators – Rob Forte, Kate Gordon, Zeke Grove, and Danielle Jenny
- CrossFit Krypton – Jessica Griffith, Camille Leblanc-Bazinet, Cody Mooney, and Alec Smith
- Team OC3 Black, the team that beat CrossFit Mayhem Freedom at the Rogue Invitational, looks to be cut after the first event.
- CrossFit Invictus sent three teams to the CrossFit Games, but Invictus (Rasmus Andersen, Lauren Fisher, Regan Huckaby, Tommy Vinas) sits in 13th and Invictus X (Justin Ahrens, Margaux Alvarez, Sam Dancer, Kristi Eramo, Wesley Rethwill) sits in 13th.